Dangerous Dog Treats: What to Know Before You Treat Your Pup

Dangerous Dog Treats: What to Know Before You Treat Your Pup

Dogs are our best friends.

They provide us with unconditional love and companionship, whether at home or out on a hike.

So it’s natural that many of us want to give them treats for being so good!

However, there has been an increasing trend in dangerous dog treat scares over the last few years, which has left many pet owners wondering what they should do before giving their pup a snack.

In this blog post, we will go over some dangerous dog treat risks and ways you can avoid these dangers when feeding your furry friend snacks.

1. Chocolate.

Chocolate is dangerous to dogs in many different forms, including baking chocolate and cocoa powder.

This sweet treat contains caffeine, which can cause vomiting or diarrhea in dogs when ingested in large amounts.

Darker chocolates pose an even greater risk because they have more of this stimulant than milk chocolate.

If your dog overeats chocolate, it could also lead to seizures, heart problems, and even death.

Chocolate contains a dangerous chemical called Theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs.

If your pup consumes hazardous levels of this product, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, or even death.

The easiest way to avoid giving your dog dangerous chocolate is not to provide them with any chocolate treats.

However, if you decide to give your pup a chocolate-based snack, make sure that it is milk chocolate and does not contain any caffeine.

As with all treats, moderation is key!

If you think your dog has ingested chocolate and may be experiencing any of the dangerous side effects mentioned above, call your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately.

2. Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins may seem like healthy snacks for dogs, but these fruits can cause kidney failure in canines.

Just a small amount of grapes or raisins can result in serious health problems, so it is best to avoid giving them to your pup altogether.

If you have grapes or raisins in your home, make sure to keep them well out of your dog’s reach. Call your veterinarian immediately if you see your pup eating any of these fruits.

3. Xylitol

Xylitol is a sugar substitute found in many different types of products, including gum, candy, and toothpaste.

While xylitol is safe for humans to consume, it is dangerous for dogs, and this sweetener can cause insulin shock and even death when ingested by dogs.

It is essential to be aware of any dangerous dog treat ingredients, especially if you have a pup that is particularly curious or likes to sample everything they see.

Call your veterinarian immediately if your dog ingests xylitol and experiences dangerous side effects like lethargy, vomiting, seizures, or tremors.

4. Fatty Foods

While giving your dog a small amount of fatty food as a treat is not necessarily dangerous, overfeeding your dog these types of snacks can lead to health problems.

Fatty foods can cause pancreatitis in dogs, an inflammation of the pancreas. This condition can be severe and even lead to death if left untreated.

If you decide to give your dog a fatty treat, make sure that it is in moderation.

While some fat may be suitable for dogs, too much can lead to dangerous health problems.

You should also avoid giving them any other table scraps or foods high in carbohydrates while eating snacks containing these dietary fats.

5. Alcohol

Dogs should never be given alcohol under any circumstances.

Consuming this dangerous dog treat can lead to detrimental side effects like vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory issues, and even coma or death in severe cases.

Drinking too much of these products can also cause dangerous drops in blood sugar levels – which is difficult for dogs with diabetes.

If you have alcoholic drinks in the home, make sure to keep them away from your dog. If you see dangerous side effects like diarrhea or vomiting after they have ingested alcohol, it is essential to seek veterinary care immediately.

6. Yeast Dough

Raw yeast dough can be dangerous for dogs because it contains high sugar and alcohol levels. This mixture can ferment in the stomach and cause gas, bloating, and even vomiting when ingested.

If left untreated, the fermentation process will continue and could eventually lead to alcohol poisoning in your pup.

If you are going to give your dog a piece of bread, avoid using yeast dough.

Instead, go for baked treats like biscuits and cookies because they do not contain dangerous quantities of sugar or alcohol.

Call your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately if you think your dog has ingested hazardous amounts of yeast dough.

7. Onions

Onions are dangerous for dogs because they contain thiosulfate, which can cause hemolytic anemia in your pup.

This condition causes severe organ damage and requires immediate veterinary care if the dog is to survive.

If you decide to give your pup a treat containing onions, make sure that it does not have any other dangerous ingredients like garlic.

Stick to treats specifically made for dogs and do not contain any dangerous human foods.

8. Macadamia Nuts

Even a small amount of macadamia nuts can lead to dangerous health problems in dogs.

The particular issue with these treats is that they contain an unknown toxin that causes tremors, weakness, and even paralysis if ingested by your pup.

If you choose to give your dog macadamias as treats, avoid dangerous quantities and ingredients.

It is also good to stick to pet-specific treats instead of human foods like these nuts.

9. Avocados

The reason avocados are classified as toxic to dogs is that they contain persin.

Unlike other poisons found in avocado, Persin cannot be removed from the flesh by cooking or freezing it.

Avocados have three varieties of persin that are not digestible by mammals, which means that no amount of cooking can change them into something safe for our pets to eat.

10. Rhubarb

Rhubarb is dangerous and toxic to dogs.

The leaves, stems, and roots of rhubarb contain oxalates, leading to kidney failure in dogs if consumed.

Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, lethargy or lack of energy (lethargy), loss of appetite (anorexia), seizures (fits), and an abnormal heart rate.

Most cases are mild because the dog vomits up the plant before much damage is done, but in severe cases, death can occur within a few hours after ingestion.

You must keep all parts of this plant away from your pup at all times!

11. Citrous oil

According to the ASPCA, citrus oil is a dangerous substance that can be poisonous to dogs.

Citrus oil should not be given as a treat or reward because it could lead to stomach upset and vomiting.

Additionally, this dangerous substance has been shown to cause kidney failure in cats who ingest it.

The ASPCA also warns against using citrus-based cleaners as they could contain citrus oils which are toxic for pets if ingested or inhaled.

To keep your pet safe from dangerous substances like citrous oil, you should always read labels when purchasing products for your pet, knowing what ingredients are being used before you buy them.

Conclusion:

When it comes to dangerous dog treats, you need to be aware of the risks of giving your pup human food.

Some common hazardous substances in human foods include yeast dough, onions, macadamia nuts, avocados, and rhubarb.

To keep your pet safe from harm, it is best to avoid these dangerous substances, and dangerous dog treats altogether.

Even if a treat is genuinely made from food, you should always read the label to know it does not contain dangerous ingredients or dangerous quantities of sugar!

This way, you can give your pup a tasty snack without worrying about their health.